Sunday, 14 July 2013

Strasbourg, France

We spent an afternoon in gorgeous Strasbourg, France.  The town is famous for the Strasbourg Cathedral that stands in the town center.  It is impossible to describe this building.  It actually takes your breath away.  It's massive size (you can't even get a picture of the whole thing...it's too big!) and the intricate detail are unbelievable.  Our choir was granted the incredible opportunity to sing a few songs inside the cathedral, right in front of the alter.  I think I can safely say that this will be one of the biggest musical highlights of my life.  Hundreds of tourists gathered around to listen to us sing.  There was a senator from the European Union there.  He comes to the cathedral once a year.  He told us that he was delighted that he came on that day and could hear us sing.  When we sang "Great is Thy Faithfulness", a women in the front row sang along, with tears in her eyes.  She was from Texas and told us that it was her favourite song.  Several of the tourists even recorded us singing and I kept hearing different devices playing it back to them throughout the afternoon!  The acoustics in the cathedral are something that can not be matched.  What a privilege to sing there! 

We had some free time in Strasbourg, and my mom and I braved the climb to the top of the cathedral.  330 steep and winding steps!  The view was completely worth it, though!

A short, but lovely stay in France.  

No comments:

Post a Comment